Friday, February 7, 2014

Twine Picture Frame


My birthday is coming up and my boyfriend surprised me with some beautiful flowers. My new purple tulips brought a glimpse of spring in the middle of this dreary winter. These flowers really inspired me to transform something to look bright and cheery. I love the whole country cottage girly look and use that theme in a lot of my projects. I had an old picture frame lying around that no longer matches my decor and is from my teenage and collage years. The frame is made from cheap cardboard and after staring at it for a while I came up with an idea to make it fit with my current style.


Aren't they gorgeous??? The perfect bouquet to be inspired by.
The before pic. This frame is made from cheep cardboard and even the "glass" is made from plastic.
Supplies:

  • Picture frame
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Twine
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors or straight cutter
  • Glue stick or spray adhesive
  • Decorative items (I used a flower from the scrapbooking section of the store)
Directions:
  1. First, my picture frame had the main part of the frame and an inside part that acted as a mat for the picture. This part was removable. I took it out and laid it on a piece of scrapbook paper. Cut it to size.
  2. Next, use spray adhesive or a glue stick to attach the scrapbook paper to the mat. Fold paper over like you are wrapping a gift and glue the folded part to the back of the mat. Set aside.                                                                                          
  3. Take the main part of your frame and your twine. Hot glue the edge of the twine to the frame starting on the back of the frame. Work your way around the entire frame working from the back to the sides of the frame to the front.                                                           
  4. When all of the frame is covered by the twine trim any fly-a-ways to make it look neater.
  5. Decorate the frame with your decorative items. I placed the flower on the corner. It had an adhesive back already on it which made it easy to apply.
  6. Place mat back inside frame and add a picture. All done! :)



This project took about an hour. All of the supplies I already had on hand and the new look matches my current decor wonderfully! Now all I need is the perfect picture to go inside. :)

1 comment: