Monday, June 16, 2014

DIY Bar Stool

For the past two years, ever since I moved to Indianapolis, I have been wanting bar stools for my kitchen. I looked all over the internet and at pretty much every store in the area and all I could find were overpriced generic stools. I wanted something fun, unique and sturdy. Eventually I found a plan for these vintage bar stools on Ana White's website. I immediately new those were what I wanted to make. 


Many of my friends and family thought I was crazy in thinking I could make my own bar stools but I was determined. I got out my kreg jig and got to work. Lowe's cut all of the wood for me, since I did not have a saw yet, and all the measurements turned out perfect!






After building the bar stool I painted it with some teal paint. I used the chalk paint recipe: 1/3 cup plaster of Paris, 1/3 cup water, 1 cup paint. I lightly distressed it with some sand paper and sealed it with some wax. Overall, I love how it turned out and it looks great at the counter. The color matches perfectly with the bookcase I have in my living room and now I have a nice place to eat my breakfast every morning when I get home from work! :)



I am still shocked at how well this turned out. If I can do this anyone can! Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you know that I featured you from last weeks Whimsy Wednesday! You can see the post here...

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/decor-accents/diy-high-style-decor-cheap/

    Thanks for linking and I hope to see you again this week!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring me! I am glad you liked my project :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Really cool chair. What I love about doing a DIY home furniture is that I can personally style and design it just like this bar stool. Also, I can freely choose the color that I love that will match to my other furniture and to my house. The last factor about DIY home furniture is that I can have a sense of fulfillment that I exerted my great effort and sweat to finish my creation. Once again, thank you very much for sharing your wonderful DIY home furniture.

    ReplyDelete