Monday, May 5, 2014

Flower Artwork


After looking online and at many stores in the area for artwork I realized that nothing I found fit the idea I had in my head for my dining room. I wanted something big and fun that would match the colors found throughout my apartment. I realized that the only way I was going to get exactly what I wanted was to make it myself.



After looking all over Pinterest I came up with a couple of ideas. My favorite was the flower made from various scraps of paper. I went immediately to my local craft store and picked up some coordinating scrapbook pages. I wanted yellows, reds, and blues since those are the colors I had used in my living room. I was originally going to get some canvases for the base of the artwork but there were some foam boards on sale so I decided to try those. I grabbed a couple and got to work.

Supplies:
  • Foam board
  • Coordinating scrapbook paper
  • Glue stick
  • Scissors
I was originally going to use mod podge to attach all of the petals but it made the surface look strange so I ended up using a glue stick instead.
Directions:
  1. Cut petal shapes out of your scrapbook paper. I made a template out of some scrap cardboard and traced it to make sure all my cutouts were the same size and shape. 
  2. Cut out a circle from one of your pages. This will be the center of your flower.
  3. Lay your cutouts on the foam board in the pattern you want. Once you get it the way you want take your glue stick and slowly glue the shapes onto your foam board. I originally thought of using mod podge but it made the foam board get an uneven sheen to it.

The most tedious part of this project was laying all the shapes out to get the right pattern. What's great about this artwork is that you can customize it to any color scheme and it is super simple to do. If I can do it so can you. Another idea for a layout would be to do several smaller flower shapes instead of just one big one. Hope you all enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment