Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mini Meat Lover's Quiche

I love breakfast food and for me, quiche, is a perfect way to get breakfast during any part of the day. This was one of the recipes I made for my freezer cooking and it was delicious. I made them into mini quiches so that I could heat one up at a time and not worry about having a lot of leftovers. I had made this quiche before with a pre-made crust but this time I wanted to make everything from scratch. I found a crust recipe in my Joy of Cooking cookbook, made the filling, and froze it for a rainy day.


Ingredients Crust:

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup dairy-free butter
  • 6 Tbls ice water

Ingredients Filling:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp dried mustard
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3 smoked sausages, cooked and diced
  • 5 pieces bacon, cooked and diced
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced
  • 1 cup dairy-free mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup dairy-free cheddar cheese
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Directions:
  1. To make the crust, combine flour and salt in medium bowl.
  2. Add butter and cut into flour mixture with fingers until dough is in pea-sized pieces.
  3. Sprinkle dough with ice water and gently blend until dough just holds firm. 
  4. Press dough into pie pan or quiche pan (I used mini foil pie pans).
  5. Next, make the filling by whisking eggs and almond milk together.
  6. Add seasonings and whisk until combined.
  7. Add meat, tomatoes and most of the cheese.
  8. Pour mixture into pie pan and sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
  9. Either place in freezer for later use or cook in oven for about 1 hour at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

This recipe as always turned out delicious. The cook time is about the same whether you make one big pie or three smaller ones. This is because the three small ones I made were deeper than if I made the one big one. Either cook it right away or freeze for later, both ways turn out amazing. Feel free to experiment with your quiche. Add some ham to make it a true meat lover's delight or switch up the types of cheese. I think I make it a little different every time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment