Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cheesy Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes

Yesterday was not only St. Patrick's Day but it was also my boyfriends birthday. One thing he had mention was that he wanted steak and potatoes for dinner. Usually he is the one who cooks any kind of meat (unless it is chicken or in a casserole) because he does such a good job. However, I was up for the challenge. I grab some T-bone steaks out of the freezer and looked up a new recipe for potatoes. I make baked potatoes all the time and decided I wanted to make something a little different. After searching on Pinterest, I found this recipe for Homemade Scalloped Potatoes from Six Sisters Stuff and adapted it to my own diet and taste. While I kept the basic foundation of the recipe, I did change quite a bit to fit my own needs.



Ingredients:

  • 6 Medium Russet Potatoes
  • 3 Tbls Vegan Butter
  • 3 Tbls Flour
  • 1 1/2 Cups Almond Milk
  • 1 tsp Garlic Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack GoVeggie Cheese
  • 3/4 cup Cheddar GoVeggie Cheese
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • Bacon bits

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Skin and thinly slice russet potatoes.
  2. In a small saucepan, whisk together butter and flour. Add milk, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Cook on medium-low heat until it boils then add cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
  3. Take a 9x9in baking pan and layer potatoes and sauce. Alternate layers until all has been used. Sprinkle remaining cheese, paprika, and bacon bits on top.
  4. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.

This recipe is definitely going on the keeper list and I cannot wait to make it again. It was so easy and simple. I even ate some leftovers for lunch today.. and I hate leftovers so that is saying something. Hope you all enjoy this recipe too! Let me know what you think.

Linking Up To:
What We Eat Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Thanks for sharing everyweek, Amanda!! I've also pinned this on my WWEW board!

    Alexis at Laugh. Eat. Learn. &Hearts;

    ReplyDelete