Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Taco Pie

I love Mexican food! I will eat it whether it is authentic or Americanized. In high school I had my lunch planned out around the Mexican line and ate nachos at least once a week. Probably not the healthiest decision I ever made but boy was it good!



Now that I am trying to stick to a very strict lactose-free diet, my options concerning Mexican food is pretty sparse. Everything has cheese or sour cream which means I cannot eat it. My solution is to make more at home with my own special lactose-free ingredients. This recipe is delicious, easy, and everything is lactose-free... a major win in my book! Here is how to make it:

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg crescent roll sheet
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 pkg taco seasoning
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cups GoVeggie cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup GoVeggie Mexican cheese
  • 1 cup Dairy-free sour cream
  • 1 Roma tomato
  • Corn chips
  • Lettuce
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Lay crescent roll sheet in 10 inch pie pan and spread evenly along the bottom and up the sides to make crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. While crust is cooking brown ground beef in skillet over medium heat. Pour in taco seasoning and water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
  4. Pour cooked and seasoned meat into pie pan on top of crescent roll crust.
  5. Next, spread sour cream evenly on top of meat. Then, add a layer of tomatoes.
  6. Top the meat with cheese and corn chips.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Top with lettuce and serve.

You can also put the sour cream and tomatoes on top after it is done cooking instead of inside the dish if you would rather have it as a cold topping. The beauty of this recipe is that it is so easy to change to your own preference. I have also made this with Doritos which are really good but that was many years ago when I wasn't trying to stay lactose-free. If going lactose-free is not a concern of yours Doritos can be a good way to change it up. Hope you all enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment