Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Cheesy Harvest Potatoes - Dairy Free

This is a recipe that I got from my mom. She had made these over the weekend which I mentioned in my most recent weekly rehash. Hers where not lactose free but I was up to the challenge of converting them to fit my diet while still keeping their deliciousness intact. I feel that I was successful. My boyfriend even requested some to take for lunch tomorrow and he hates leftovers... so they must be good! Here is how to make them:



Ingredients:

Cream of Chicken Sauce (makes abut 2 cups)

  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3/4 cups almond milk
  • 6 Tbls all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp parsley
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/8 tsp basil
Casserole
  • 32 oz bag frozen hash browns
  • 2 cups GoVeggie Cheddar Shreds
  • 1 cup Tuffuti's Better Than Sour Cream
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter - melted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 medium onion - diced
Topping
  • 6 Tbls Earth Balance butter - melted
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 sleeve ritz crackers - crushed
Directions:
  1. Combine chicken broth and 1/4 cup almond milk in saucepan. Bring to a boil.
  2. Whisk together in separate bowl spices, flour, and remaining almond milk for the sauce. 
  3. Slowly pour flour mixture into saucepan, whisking continuously. Turn heat down and simmer while whisking for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
  4. In large bowl, combine casserole ingredients and pour into 9x13 pan. Cover pan with foil.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  6. Combine butter, bread crumbs, and crackers. Remove foil from pan and pour topping onto casserole. Return to oven uncovered and bake for additional 15 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven, let cool, and serve!

These potatoes are easy to make and taste just as good as leftovers. There are also so many options to change the dish up. Next time I would like to try adding bacon or ham. I think both of those would be delicious. Hope you all enjoy and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment