Wednesday, August 6, 2014

DIY Tumbler

As many of you know my brother got married this weekend. Everything ended up turning out really well and all of the family had a lot of fun. The thing I love about weddings is that it is like a large family reunion. My family is very large and they live all over the place so it is hard to see everyone on a regular basis. We will have had 11 weddings in the last 10 years and sometimes that is the only time we get to see everybody. 


One thing I really wanted to do was make something for my sister-in-law, Amy. I am always making things for people and I wanted to do something that would welcome her to the family. Since she would be taking on a new last name I wanted to incorporate that into her present. Amy is also a graduate student so I thought maybe a drink tumbler would be something she could use. I found a double walled drink tumbler so she could put either cold drinks or hot drinks in it for when she is on campus. Here is how I did it:

Supplies:

  • Drink tumbler from Hobby Lobby - $4.00
  • Black self-adhesive vinyl - $3.00 
  • Ribbon - $1.00
  • Craft knife - free
  • Cutting mat - free
  • Computer with printer and paper - free
  • Heart punch - free
  • Tape - free
Directions:
  1. Open a word document and pick a font you like. Type the letter you need and make it large. I did a "G" and used the font "Mardian". Print it onto a piece of paper.
  2. Tape the letter to your vinyl sheet and lay on your cutting mat.
    The "G" is not cut out yet in this picture. You will actually just cut through the paper and vinyl at the same time.
  3. Use your craft knife to cut out the letter. (Some people have used their Silhouette or Cricut but I do not have one of these so this was the method I used.)
  4. Next, cut out little hearts with your heart punch.
  5. The vinyl is self-adhesive so you can just peel the backing off and stick it to the drink tumbler where you want everything. 
  6. Tie the ribbon around the straw, fill your cup up with your favorite drink and enjoy!

I wanted to make something personal for Amy and I really like how it turned out. Hopefully she will find many excuses to use it when she starts her classes back up this fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment