Friday, August 8, 2014

Easy Chicken Fajitas

These chicken fajitas were super easy to make. I have been growing a garden on my patio and I had planted a green bell pepper plant in May. While it did not do as well as I had been hoping I did get one bell pepper out of it so far. I quickly snatched it off the stem and looked for a recipe that I could incorporate it into. My first thought was fajitas. My mom made these all the time when I was growing up but I had not made them since moving out on my own. I decided that now was the time to do it. This recipe makes enough for 2 people.


Ingredients:
  • 1 large chicken breast
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • dash pepper
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Dairy free sour cream (I used Toffuti's Better than Sour Cream)
  • Lactose free cheese (I used GoVeggie Cheddar Flavored Shreds)
  • Tortillas
  • 3 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
Directions:
  1. Cut chicken breast into thin pieces about 2-4 inches in length.
  2. Cut bell pepper into thin strips. Chop onion into small pieces.
  3. Pour water, spices, onion, bell pepper and chicken into plastic bag. Close bag and mix ingredients around so that everything is covered. Let sit for 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
  4. Pour extra virgin olive oil into bottom of pan and heat on medium heat. Pour all ingredients from bag into the pan. Cook until chicken is cooked through and golden brown on both sides. 
  5. Heat tortillas in microwave or on the stove top just until heated. Spread sour cream in middle of tortillas and place chicken mixture on top.
  6. Fold tortillas over and enjoy!

These were really good and I will be adding them to my list of meals to make regularly. I also love it because I can add anything I want to them. I can add tomatoes or other vegetables to easily switch things up. Hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment