Thursday, January 23, 2014

DIY Knob Coat Hanger


I have been wanting a more defined entryway lately and I finally decided that the perfect way to do this was with a new coat hanger. I did not want a generic one and I felt the only way to get what I truly wanted was to make it myself. I did some searching online and got a lot of inspiration for my own project. It took me very little time and can be customized to fit anyone's style.
Finished entryway
Supplies:
  • board
  • paint color of choice
  • 5 knobs - I got mine from hobby lobby
  • hack saw
  • 3 small D-ring hangers
  • 3 small screws - smaller than width of your board (if the screws that come with D-ring hangers are too long)
  • 3 drywall anchors with screws
  • Drill
  • Drill bits
Directions:
  1. First step is to take the board you chose for the base of your coat hanger and paint it. You only need to paint the front and sides.
  2. Next, turn the board over, mark where you want the knobs to go, and pre-drill the holes. I started by marking the middle one first and then the others. That way everything would look symmetrical.
  3. Once the holes are drilled, screw in each knob.
  4. Since I used knobs from hobby lobby, the screws attached to the knobs were too long and stuck out in the back. To fix this, I took a hack saw and cut off the extra part of the screw. I did this while they were screwed into the board. Be careful though because the hack saw makes the ends of the screws a bit jagged and hot. Make sure not to cut or burn yourself.
  5. Next, attach three small D-ring hangers onto the back of your coat hanger. You can use more or less, depending on how long your coat hanger is. I had to buy extra screws to do this because the screws that came with the D-ring package were too long for the board. If your board is thicker you won't need to do this.
  6. If you are drilling into studs you will not need the drywall anchors. If you are drilling right into drywall use the anchors to hold the screws in the wall. Hang your beautiful, brand-new coat hanger on the screws!
The hardest part of this project was hanging it on the wall. There are many different options on how you can do this but I decided on the D-rings because I thought they would be able to hold more weight. To make more of a statement I put a floating shelf above it and added some decorations. I used things I found around the apartment to put on the shelf, making that part almost free. I hope you all find some creative ways to make your own unique knob coat hanger!


Closeup of the finished project.
Wooden letters to represent me and my boyfriend's initials.
Some decorations for the shelf.
Linking Up To:

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Great craft!
    I am doing a giveaway ($119 value) on my blog and I would love for you to check it out
    -Jennie
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely go check it out :)

      Delete