Monday, January 13, 2014

Drop Cloth Flower Pillow

If you haven't noticed by now, much of my inspiration comes from things I see on Pinterest. Last year when I was preparing to move to my very own apartment after graduating college, I decided to do a few DIY projects that could be used for decorations. Cluck Cluck Sew has a great tutorial and I love the pillow she made. This is where I got the idea for this project. However, I wanted to switch it up and use a more unconventional fabric so I decided on using a canvas drop cloth. It was cheap, durable, and had an interesting look. For the flower petals I used red felt. This fabric is a bit stiffer so it will better hold its shape, plus I had some leftover from a past project making it free.





Supplies: 
  • 1/4 yard felt: Free
  • 5ft x 4ft canvas drop cloth $6.00
  • 18" x 18" pillow form: $5.00
  • Scissors: Free
  • Thread: Free
Directions:
  1. First, you need to cut out the main pieces of the pillow. To do this cut three different sized rectangles from your drop cloth: one 19" x 19", one 19" x 15", and one 19" x 12". Next, cut out your petals by cutting your felt into 30 large circles (3in) and 20 small circles (2in). Then cut each of those circles in half.
  2. Take the largest piece of your drop cloth, this will be the front of the pillow where the petals will be sewed on. Draw a large circle on it, leaving about 5 inches around the edge. This will be your starting guide for the petals.
  3.  Line up the edge of the petals along the line and sew them in place as you go. Once you are about to meet up with the first petal you placed, start overlapping and work your way to the center in a spiral fashion. Once you get closer to the center, begin using the smaller sized petals.
  4. At the very end, cut out a small circle and sew it in the middle of your flower. 
  5. Next, you need to finish the pillow. In order to do this take the remaining two pieces of drop cloth and sew them to the piece with your flower on it to make a simple envelope pillow. Cluck Cluck Sew does a much better job explaining this entire process than I do and even has some great pictures.
Total Cost: $11.00

I was really happy with how my pillow turned out and I ended up making three different pillows using the drop cloth. To view those see Painted Love Pillow and Stenciled Strength Pillow.



No comments:

Post a Comment